If you are planning a vacation with your friends and family and looking for a great destination, then you must consider going to the beautiful Coorg. Owing to its beautiful landscape and picturesque views, Coorg is referred to as the Scotland of India. It is a little town located in Southern Karnataka and cradles in the height of Western Ghats.
It inhabits alluring mountains and the appetising aroma of coffee. The entire region is so captivating and beautiful that you are sure to fall in love with this place instantly. There are several hotels in Coorg that aim at providing the most comfortable stays to all the tourists. Coorg is located in the lap of Mother Nature at its best and there are several reasons why it is a compelling choice for your vacation. Here are a few reasons:
- Abbi Waterfalls- Coorg houses the popular Abbi Falls, which is an ideal place to discover some tranquillity and peace in the midst of a babbling and rapturous waterfall. The best time to visit this waterfall is during the monsoon. It is located in the heart of the coffee plantation and so you can enjoy the aroma of coffee and sprinkles from the waterfall at the same spot.
- Namdroling Nyingmapa Tibetan Monastery- The monastery, Namdroling Nyingmapa is located near Kushalnagar is counted amongst the top ten monasteries in India. People from all around the globe visit this place of worship. The main attraction of the monastery are three golden statues of Lord Buddha that are 40 feet tall.
- Puthari Festival- The best part about the small town of Coorg is that it keeps its culture and heritage live. A huge celebration is held during the harvest festival, which is called Puthari festival. Puthari is a translation of rice and this festivity takes place either at the end of November or the start of December.
- Omkareshwar Temple- Another famous attraction of Coorg that attracts a large crowd is Omkareshwar Temple. This temple was built in the year 1820 by a ruler named Lingarajendra II. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and the architecture comprises of both Islamic and Gothic styles. The legends state that the Shivlinga that resides in this temple was brought from Kashi.
- Dubare Elephant Camp- If you like elephants, then you must visit the Dubare Elephant Camp, which is a training camp for elephants. It is operated by the government, but open to visitors. If you happen to reach this place early morning, then you might be lucky to see how elephants get bathed as that is one of the most spectacular sights to see.
These are some of the reasons why you should visit Coorg. It is a complete package. From flora to fauna, from monasteries to temples and other forms of festivities, Coorg seems to have it all. So, make sure you have places like Coorg, Khandala and Aamby Valley in your travelling plan the next time you are planning a vacation.