What Should I Do If I Am Injured On The Job At Sea?

Working on the water is an amazing experience. It is the opportunity of a lifetime to retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life to the vastness of the open sea. While it is an exciting adventure, it is also a job like any other and sometimes accidents happen. If you have been injured while at work on the water, you might want to seek out a Jones Act lawyer to see if your rights are protected by the Jones Act. In order to make sure you have all of the information surrounding the injury in order, there are a few things you should do.

See A Doctor

Immediately following the injury, be sure to see a licensed medical practitioner. It is important that you do not waste time and get seen as soon as possible. This way, any wounds can be tended to and your injury can be accurately diagnosed. The incident will be fresh in your mind, so you can answer any questions from the doctor with ease. If you are of the right mind, it would be a good idea to speak with the practitioner in depth about the wounds. This information could be used in the future for help in building up your case.

Fill Out An Accident Report

Your employer will most likely fill out the accident report while you are still on board the vessel. This report is a crucial factor in determining whether or not your are protected under the Jones Act. Make sure that the report is as thorough as possible pinpointing every detail that you can. Leaving out one minor detail could be the downfall of your entire case. With regard to maritime cases specifically, many are reports are rendered incomplete, inaccurate, false, or non-existent. Read through it completely to be sure that all statements are truthful and the information is correct.

Note All Factors

When you are dealing with any case, details are critical. That is why you need to note any and all factors that may have played a role in the accident. Consider the environment you were in. Was the lighting poor? Was the floor too slippery? Think about the people who you work around. Did a coworker’s negligence cause the accident? Were there not enough workers to begin with? Take a look at the work procedures that are currently in place. Are they unsafe? Make a record of anything that may strengthen your case.

In order to make sure that your situation is handled properly, consult a Jones Act lawyer. He or she will have an in-depth knowledge and expertise of maritime law, which will aid in the winning of your case. In addition, you will need the support of someone looking out for your best interest. An attorney will be there by your side to guide you smoothly through the process.

Leave a Reply